26 March 2007

April Fool!

Three weeks after the 2007 revised Daylight Saving Time date (also a week after after Europe went to Summer Time), I found this entry in my Personal Filofax diary. Sure, I know the reason for the problem is that this diary refill was printed before Congress decreed the date change, but it's an amusing April Fool's gift nonetheless.

The ever-proper Filofax does not mention April Fool's Day, since it's not an official holiday anywhere. And the wikipedia article on April Fool's Day is flagged with more than the usual number of tags warning of its inaccuracy...a portent in itself?

Yet, this humble Philofaxy blogger, whose birthday happens to be April 1st, has found that mentions of this date are recognized with knowing smiles throughout the world. Oddly, I seem to have been the victim of fewer than average April Fool's jokes. Sure, there were the unextinguishable birthday candles and the elaborately gift-wrapped dirty sock, but nothing truly creative. Perhaps that's the ultimate April Fool's Day joke.

So, I'll leave you with my favorite April Fool's quote, from Mark Twain: "April 1st is the day upon which we are reminded of what we are on the other three-hundred and sixty-four."

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant quote! My brother hung on till April 2, no fool him.

    ReplyDelete